The University of Mumbai Established in 1857, is a state university formerly known as the University of Bombay located in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It has been accredited with ‘A’ grade by the NAAC. The University of Mumbai is an Open University that offers undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral-level, certificate, and diploma programs. The university features four campuses, namely Thane campus, Kalina campus, Fort campus, and Ratnagiri campus. In addition to this, 56 university departments and more than 781 affiliated colleges have been recognized by the Mumbai University. University offers UG, PG, Diploma, Certificate, and Ph. D. programs. The university began its classes with the departments of arts and medicine. The institution awarded its first degree in 1862. In 1996, the university’s name was changed from the University of Bombay to the University of Mumbai.
University offers UG, PG, Diploma, Certificate, and Ph.D. programs as follows
- Five years B.Arch. Program and four years B.E. / B.Tech. Programs in many streams.
- Four years full-time program in pharmacy.
- Five years full time integrated program in Management.
- BBA LLB is an integrated program of 5 years, whereas the LL.B program is a three-year program.
- Two years full-time post-graduation programs are offered in the Faculty of Arts, Science, Commerce, Performing Arts and Fine Arts. .
- Master of Financial Management (MFM)
- Master of Marketing Management (MMM),
- Master of Human Resources Development Management (MHRDM),
- Master of Information Management (MIM) program
- Two years of part-time and full-time M.E. and M. Tech. courses in various streams.
- One-year full-time program in Pharmacy.
- Three years full-time MCA, two years M.Sc. and five years integrated M.Sc. programs in various streams.
- Phil. program under the Faculty of Arts, Science, Commerce, Law, and Finance in multiple disciplines including sociology, philosophy, education, and commerce.
- D. programs in commerce, Law, Arts, Technology, and Science.
The university is visited by several companies for the placement drive. In the previous years, the average salary package offered was 1.9 lakhs annually while the maximum salary package went up to 6 lakhs yearly. Some major recruiters at the university include ICICI Bank, Ernst & Young, Accenture, Wipro, BNP Paribas, Johnson & Johnson, Tata Consultancy Services, and Axis Bank.
The university offers two scholarships, namely The Syndicate Bank Golden Jubilee Scholarship and The Lotus Foundation Scholarship. Both the scholarships are merit-based and offer various grants and awards to students as per their academic record. The scholarships also provide financial support to students.
Internationally, the University of Mumbai is ranked 801–1000 by the QS World University Rankings in 2020, 177 in Asia in 2020 and 89 among BRICS nations in 2019.
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked it 65th among universities in India in 2020.
The Mumbai University is well known as one of the best colleges for given courses in India. Currently the university has catered around 50 thousands students with the learning facilities across the cities in India.